Thursday 2 July 2009

La Cucaracha, La Cucharacha

The Boss : "Spell 'Karachi'"

Here's me : "K-A-R-A-C-H-I"

The Boss : "No, not 'Karachi', 'Karachi'."

Ah, we appear to have reached an impasse.

Here's me : "Whereabouts is it?"

The Boss : "South America."

Big place, y'know.

Here's me : "Give me a clue. I have no idea."

The Boss : "Karate?"

Here's me : "Carate? There's one in Costa Rica but it's not exactly a major destination, I doubt it's that. Any more clues?"

The Boss : "Where's Rio Grand-EE?"

Here's me : "Um... it's a river in Mexico?"

The Boss : "Not Mexico."

Here's me : "Probably lots of South American countries. Hang on..."

(googles it)

Here's me : "Yeah. At a glance, there's about fifty places called Rio Grande in South America. More info, pur-leeze."

The Boss : "Near Rio dee-Ja-Nero in Argentina."

Here's me : "Rio de Janeiro is in Brazil."

The Boss : "Near that."

Here's me : "Where?"

The Boss : "Near Rio Grand-EE. It sounds like Cucaracha."

Here's me : "Cockroach??"

The Boss : "What?

Here's me : "Never mind. Look, what's this all about?"

The Boss : "I was asked for a price to Cucaracha."

Here's me : "Cucaracha is Spanish for 'cockroach'. 'La Cucaracha, La Cucharacha'? You know?"

The Boss : "um... Kookaburra..."

Here's me "Oh sweet Jesus-fisting-Christ, what the hell are we talking about? Phone the customer back and ask them again. Please."

This was duly done. It turns out that Karachi / Karate / Cucharacha / Kookaburra actually referred to 'Zárate' in Argentina. Another half an hour of my life that I'll never get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment